Keyboard and carnatic raagas - relation and play technique

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
In this thread, we will explore how Keyboard and carnatic raagas are related. how it could be utilized in a better way.

Usually there are 72 melakarta ragas and for all possible combinations of seven-note scales from the 16-note classification of the octave (36 of them with the natural 4, and 36 with the raised 4). For example, major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian b6, Ionian b2b6, etc.—and virtually any other seven-note mode or scale you can think of—are among these ragas. From the parent ragas, 34,776** ragas (five-note ragas; six-note ragas; five-notes-going up, seven-coming-down ragas; etc.) called janya ragas are derived.

You can use the following image as a reference point.

Keybed.jpg

Last edited:

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
this is yet another excellent quick help:

Code:
                 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12

carnatic       : s  r1 r2 g1 g2 m1 m2 p  d1 d2 n1 n2   
western        : C  C# D  D# E  F  F# G  G# A  A# B

jshrikrish

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks very much for this useful post. I have a problem. I can only see the first 6 Melakarta ragas and I am not able to save it as image. Would you be able to help me around this?

Thanks,

jshri

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and we pride ourselves in offering quality music notations and music discussions among different people of all backgrounds. We are working hard every day to make sure that our community is one of the best around here. We believe, sharing knowledge is true caring - whether you are a pro or a beginner, you would benefit from this fraternity. Join us and let’s walk together this exciting musical journey. It's fun unlimited and musically bonding!

Facebook